According to the National Council for Home Safety and Security, there are roughly 2.5 million burglaries each year, and 66% are home break-ins. That means a burglary takes place every 13 seconds.
It doesn’t matter if you think you live in a “safe” or “nice” neighborhood or not – your home is still at risk, and even more so if you don’t have a home alarm system, statistics show. A home alarm system doesn’t only monitor your home for intruders, however; many systems also offer fire, flood and carbon monoxide monitoring.
At Armor Alarms, your home alarm company for both Johnson and Jackson counties, we know that no matter how safe you think your home already is, a security system will provide even better protection. If you’re considering installing a home security system, here are some reasons why you shouldn’t wait any longer:
1. Burglars don’t like home security systems. Installing a home security system may deter burglars. Researchers at UNC Charlotte surveyed a group of burglars and found that 60% of would-be thieves would choose another house to rob if they knew their target had a security system.
2. Alarms help lower overall neighborhood crime rates. If you install a home alarm system, you may be helping to keep your neighbors safer, too. According to a Rutgers University study, burglary rates declined across specific neighborhoods as a whole when homeowners installed alarm systems. So be a good neighbor and install an alarm!
3. Security systems can warn you in case of fire or carbon monoxide. In addition to monitoring your home for security threats, most of today’s alarm systems also detect smoke. This gives you an extra level of protection in addition to your smoke alarms, which is especially important when you consider that the death rate from fire in homes that don’t have an alarm is twice as high as in those that do. Home security systems can also monitor carbon monoxide in your home, as well, and alert you if unsafe levels exist.
4. Alarm systems may help deter repeat burglaries. This is scary: According to statistics, if you’ve been the victim of a burglary in the past, you’re 5 1/2 times more likely to be targeted again! Installing a home security system and security cameras can help keep criminals away for good.
5. A security system can minimize the financial impact of a burglary. If a burglar is brazen enough to rob your home despite your home alarm system, he won’t be able to take much. According to a Temple University study, burglary losses were a lot less when an alarm was present ($3,266 versus $5,343) because burglars know they only have a few minutes before law enforcement responds. So they may only have time to grab a few things before running out.
6. A home security system may help reduce your insurance premiums. Homeowner’s insurance can be expensive, but installing a security system usually saves you money. According to the Insurance Information Institute, your insurance company may offer discounts ranging from 5% to 20% when you have a home alarm.
7. Installing an alarm system may increase your home’s value. If you’re planning to sell your home down the line or you’re just looking to build up a little more equity, a home security system can help. Taking extra precautions to ensure your home is secure is an easy way to boost your property’s value.
It’s hard to quantify the real value of having a home security system. But if having one deters just one burglar from hitting your home, or if the system senses smoke and wakes your family in the middle of the night, it’s more than worth the investment.
At Armor Alarms, your home alarm company for both Johnson and Jackson counties, we know the peace of mind, security and value our alarm system can provide to you and your family. Call us at 913.201.4959 today or visit www.protectedbyarmor.com to find out how our home security system can make your home – and everyone in it – safer.
Armor Alarms. Safe. Simple. Sec